Thursday, March 19, 2009

Raku.

A superlative dining experience. Here you can see Pilar about to feed her Raku habit. It's worse than coke.

Inside, your bleached chopsticks (the one weakness, but where have you ever not encountered bleached chopsticks?*) are wrapped with a cute logo.

Emily ordered the agedashi tofu, the best I've ever had. It came topped with scallions and ikura. I especially liked the tongue-shaped dab of spicy sauce on the lip of the bowl.

Pilar went for the grilled mackerel. It's deboned so you can rip right into the bubbled flesh like the vulture you are. Comes with a shredded turnip or radish, I forget which, but the waitress recommended adding some soy sauce to the white stuff and it was delicioso.

No dessert because I had to cut out to catch a redeye flight to the east coast.

*Now that I think about it, a Korean places do offer metal chopsticks, which is pretty cool. That way, if somebody tries to poison me, I'll know because the metal will change color if it touches poison. That's the origin of metal chopsticks. OK, I made that up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Japan, we usually have grilled fish with shredded radish and add soy sauce to it! Glad you liked it:)
BTW, I told Yusuke that you were on your way to the east coast right after I read your blog!
Hope you guys met each other!

Unknown said...

T- I'm glad to hear that our Raku mackerel was authentic! I did see Yusuke and we had some beer last night. He said you're getting into bouldering and overhangs; pretty cool!