Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Kolob.

Our intreprid guide Randy asks his smartphone device the question on the mind of all sentient beings: "What should I do next?"  We are at DeDe's in Cedar City (voted 3rd best restaurant in Utah!)  fueling up with some blueberry pancakes.  We're on our way to Kolob Canyon in Zion National Park to try a very long sport route called Namaste 5.12a...
A view of the canyon at the beginning of the hike.  The morning sunbeams were beautiful and auspicious.  We aimed for the very back of the canyon.  It took about 45 min to an hour of hiking.
John ascended first... we had an 80M rope, but I think 70 would have sufficed.


Randy getting lowered.  You can see the extent of the overhang at the start of the route.

Some shots of me on my flash attempt.  It's a long route.

 All in all, a magical day.  We had the canyon to ourselves the entire time.  I would highly recommend a visit if you are passing through because it's so accessible.



.

No comments: