Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Really Sad.

Three Sad Problems. from Hotel Sierra on Vimeo.


A short 3 min video with Strength in Numbers followed by Professional Widow v4 highball, and then Pow Pow, a guidebook v8 but consensus v7, and probably v6. Shout outs to Randy and Leslie for the camera work, spotting, encouragement, and crashpads.

I think at the 3 min mark you can see I almost slip and fall off the top of Pow Pow after sending. Seems to be a bad habit I picked up in the Gunks, where I routinely slid on pine needles and autumn leaves, falling off the top of boulder problems into talus pits filled with scree and mud.

Also, probably not audible, but on Professional Widow, my left hand started sliding off the penultimate hold; i remember hearing my fingernails scraping the volcanic ash while reaching right for the finishing jug. Randy heard it as well and got pretty worried. Fortunately the music obscures these sordid details of my shoddy rockcraft.

3 comments:

Yusuke | たまりっひ said...

V6/7/8 seems to be wide in grade...

Unknown said...

YT, I hear you. It is wide. I'm definitely not a v8 climber and have only done a handful of v7s. I think style or what you're good at might bend the grades a little as well. I suppose the best approach would be for you to try it! I can't believe we never made the effort to visit the Sads the two times we visited. You definitely need to check it out.

the gunks rock climbing said...

I suppose the best approach would be for you to try it! I can't believe we never made the effort to visit the Sads the two times we visited.